Software-Defined Storage Appliances
- Synchronization: Work Folders and DFS-R
- Failover Clustering with Hyper-V
- Storage Spaces with SSD tiering and caching
- New Storage Management APIs
- End to end storage management with SCVMM
- Simple Setup and Configuration (OOBE)
- Protocol Improvements: SMB 3.0 and iSCSI Target
File Server Features
- SMB Transparent Failover – Continuous availability
- SMB Scale-Out – Active/active clusters with auto-rebalancing
- SMB Multichannel – Network fault tolerance and throughput
- SMB Direct (SMB over RDMA) – Low latency, low CPU utilization
- SMB Encryption – Security in flight, without IPSec or PKI
- Directory Leasing – Coherent caching of file and folder metadata
- VSS for SMB File Shares – Application-consistent backup/restore
- SMB PowerShell and VMM Support – Manage and automate
Cluster Shared Volumes in Windows Server 2012 R2
Enabling the private cloud
- Access to storage from any node despite physical storage connectivity
- Common namespace that is consistent across all servers
- Resilient and Reliable
Hybrid storage pools & tiered storage
- SSDs and HDDs used as different tiers.
- Windows automatically tracks data temperature and moves them at sub-file level.
- Write-back cache improves performance for real-world workloads.
- Only hot regions of a file (VHD, database, etc.) need to move to SSDs, the cold regions can
reside on HDDs.
- Ability to pin files to different tiers
Windows Storage Server 2012 R2 Editions
This server comes in 2 OS Editions (Workgroup and Standard)
For more information and support on Server 2012, contact us.